Crowning methods, was soundboards.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:18 +1100

Hello Ron N & all,

>>What RH do you glue the ribs to the soundboard at? I assume
>>anything lower than ambient RH would induce some compression
>>crowning (once the piano was exposed to something higher, say,
>>summer's humidity -- today the RH is frightfully low) -- but I
>>freely admit that's just a gut reaction, not a calculation.
>>
>>Patrick
>

>In the neighborhood of 6%-6.5%. Yes, there will be some compression
>crowning, but not much, and I expect it to be pretty much
>non-existent in a few months under string bearing. Seasonal swings
>will always change compression levels in panels no matter how the
>soundboard is built. My point is that I'm not counting on the panel
>to support crown either initially, or in the long run. The ribs are
>dimensioned to do that. The panel provides stiffness along the grain
>and rides along with the ribs to move air.
>
>Ron N

Similarly, we dry a solid panel down to 6.5%, and yes Patrick, a very
small additional crowning results once the panel normalises. When we
use a laminated panel, it is dried after gluing the layers, then
allowed to stand and normalise before gluing the ribs.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers