"Circle of Sound" proof ??? ( Convince me otherwise and win a free kazoo! )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:15:36 -0800 (PST)

Dear Cynical Smartypantses,
     I've been puttering around with a 106 year old
Everett upright, in preparation for the TCM festival;
and marveling at how an unrestored piano such as this
can still sound so wonderful: with a rich, warm, clean
and well-defined tone!
     And then I noticed that every bit of the case
( under the veneer, that is ) seems to be solid ash,
excepting the keybed, which is laminated rock maple
similar in configuration to the glued-up boards used
in bowling alleys.
     And then I remembered the new, Georgia-built
Yamaha upright I tuned at a church last year: with its
particle board case and exceptionally muddy, "thubby"
tone.....
     What better explanation could there possibly be
for this contrast than that hard woods transmit
runaway vibrations back to the board for further
expression as audible sound, AKA the much-maligned
"Circle of Sound" ?
     While we may consider many of those in the
marketing end of the piano business worthy of a good
spanking, are we perhaps guilty of letting our disdain
of them denigrate a valid concept ?
     Thump