Center Pin Goop

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:28:16 -0600

>- What is this stuff?

I have no idea, but if that much is on the pin AFTER REMOVAL, you can bet
the bushings and birds eyes are saturated with it too.

>- If I simply repin, can I not presume that the goop will come back (I
>suppose it would be a good thing to ream up a pin size or two)?

Not knowing where the goop came from in the first place, I would assume to
have not seen the last of it with repinning. Murphy was an optimist.

>- Do I need to rebush (like the US is doing today - oh, no I couldn't do
>that!)?

That might do some good (at least in the piano), but...

>- If I need to repin and rebush all the jacks and wip levers, seems to me
>I'm already pretty close to the point where it would be cheaper to just
>install new wippens - what say yee?

For the time and money spent trying to salvage what's there, with the
lingering mystery of what the heck IS there, I'd recommend replacement.

>Thanks for any CONSTRUCTIVE input.   ;-)

But you already knew that.

Ron N