Improving a Dampp Chaser system

Tom Servinsky tompiano@bellsouth.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:10:04 -0500

Why wouldn't keeping the lid closed and using a piano
cover  do just as well, if not better?  Especially if
you have a Dampp Chaser and an undercover?

Don,
Because customers still like to have the most expensive picture shelve in
the house in full operation....the top of the piano.  But I can  tell that,
even with the lid in the down position and no blanket, one is only kidding
if they think they are containing the environment. There are too many areas
where the heat from the damp chasers escapes.
It's worth mentioning that any type of cover will not due. For instances,
the type of felt found at most fabric type stores is usually a synthetic
blend.  Guess what that does? It attracts moisture. The simple test is to
run water over from a faucet and see if the material absorbs or repels. The
material that Schaff sells ( part #29) is blend of several different
materials, one being wool.  Fabric store type felt will absorb like a sponge
which is what we don't want in that area of the piano. The beauty of this
material is that it allows a acceptable air flow to pass through the
material but doesn't allow moisture. Perfect for pianos.
Muting: There obviously is some level of muting, or rather diminished volume
just a if the lid effects the volume in different positions. But the
material does not dampen the sound due it is sitting on top of the plate
struts and not on the strings, which is the common misconception of most.
To clean the material simply take off and shake OR, throw in the dryer for
15 mins. on air fluff. Wash it and it will shrink to have the size.
Another benefit...keeps the whole belly area of the piano spotless...no rust
and best of all no dust on the soundboard. Beauty maintained forever. Can't
beat it! Win-win for everyone.
Cost: About $45 per yard so don't waste.
Recycle: You'll find that when you cut out the cover that you'll be left
with a rather nice size piece which reflects the wing end of the piano (
right side). Don't throw the material away and when you have 3 remnants, so
them together and make another. That's one of the jobs my kids to for
me...making remnant string cover blankets. I sell the remnant blanket for
half the amt. as there are 3 seams in the material. But it still looks very
presentable.
So that's how we down in the tropics approach the subject. Works incredibly
well and I would all encourage to start thinking in terms of adding the wool
blanket the DC system.
Tom Servinsky