soundboards

Clyde Allen tunepiano1@yahoo.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:40:24 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Terry Farrell, Ron N, and RicB for your replies. It is a blessing to have experienced people willing to shed light on the various issues that come up...

Best regards,
Clyde Allen
PTG Assoc.
Silver Spring, MD

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman@cox.net> wrote:

>I've begun to notice and in your post below you mention "compression
>crowned" boards. Could you tell me what that is and what is/are the
>alternative(s)? Thank!

Hi Clyde,
Compression crowning refers to the method of forming crown by gluing a
severely dried panel to flat ribs and letting the panel expand as it
re-hydrates, bending the ribs and forming crown. In a compression crowned
board, the ribs resist crown, and destructive levels of compression are
present in the panel. A better, more structurally dependable and
predictable construction method is to machine a crown in the ribs, not dry
the panel down nearly as much, and let the ribs act as supporting
structural beams without depending on an over compressed panel to support
crown and string bearing load.

Soundboards have been discussed more often, in greater detail, at greater
length, and from more directions, and to less general effect than any other
subject in the history of this list with the possible exception of tuning
temperaments. Mark off at least three days of your life, pull up the
archives, and read. Pay attention to who says what, who makes sense, what
makes sense, and think it through.

Ron N