soundboards

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:52:36 -0500

Check the archives on "compression crowning vs. rib crowning". There was =
a lengthy discussion of this topic a while back.

Basically, a compression crowned board (at one extreme) is one where =
flat ribs are glued to a low-moisture-content (4 or 5%) panel. When the =
soundboard is then allowed to equilibrate with "normal" room humidity =
and temperature, the panel will absorb moisture from the air and will =
want to expand. The ribs on the one side of the panel will not permit =
that side of the panel to expand, but the other side of the panel will, =
and thus the soundboard will develop crown as the panel moisture content =
increases. Any loading that is applied to the soundboard (think string =
downbearing) will be supported by the panel.

Well, at least for a while anyway.......

Maybe.

Terry Farrell
  Dale,

  I've begun to notice and in your post below you mention "compression =
crowned" boards. Could you tell me what that is and what is/are the =
alternative(s)? Thank!

  Clyde Allen