soundboards

Clyde Allen tunepiano1@yahoo.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:39:05 -0800 (PST)

Dale,

I've begun to notice and in your post below you mention "compression crowned" boards. Could you tell me what that is and what is/are the alternative(s)? Thank!

Clyde Allen
PTG Assoc.
Silver Spring, MD

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
   HI John
  I think you've hit a VERY SIGNIFICANT cause of our objections to new the new piano shaped objects being sold at Costco or wherever.
  .Yeah The Hammers. Yes, & voicing,  or a hammer transplant can seriously improve things And yet if the soundboard design & execution is lacking then the musical tone index goes down & the noise & aural pain index goes up.
  My experience ,with most old Os & Ls from the 20's. is The rib support in these pianos is so lacking that 9 out of 10 boards I see in these pianos are flat as pancakes and or have as many cracks as a venetian blind.
 Now remember I'm in Calif. where pianos longevity is greatly enhanced by our climate. Providing that the pianos lived here most of there lives they've suffered less.. So what does that tell you about the conditions of others that have groaned thru harsh winters & summers?
   My Advice to all is stop being so optimistic about the condition of old compression crowned boards. It's a method full of pitfalls which is a self destructing method in which all crown has collapsed by now  in pianos built 85 plus years ago
  Regards
  Dale

Hi Avery,

I'm sorry, I was in a not-so-clear-way actually referring to 2
different aspects. I'm sure the hammer is the largest part of the
punchy and bright equation. Keep in mind I don't mean to suggest I've
done extensive testing on the matter, I only started seriously
considering these things since I bought my older S&S L and noticed it
is prettier than new ones (and the other old L's I've played are pretty
also!). I also don't mean to suggest that newer pianos can't have a
pretty sound, but there's just something about some of these older
ones, for whatever reason.

- John