Damper trimming

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:12:59 EST

List,

I did my first job of damper trimming yesterday morning.  The  owner had a
legitimate complaint.  The whoosh was noticeable even playing  one note at a
time.  You could feel the damper being forced out between the  strings from the
key. When using the pedal, it was really distracting.

Slicing the first chunks of felt off of a new 7 foot grand was a  bit
nerve-racking, but it wasn't really difficult at all. I got  pretty good at it by the
25th one...

Removed the action
placed a block under the tray to make reinstallation/regulation of wires a
bit easier
pulled the dampers out one at a time
cut along the string line/indentation on the damper with VERY sharp fabric
shears
burnished teflon powder into the dampers, as well as the damper guide  rail
replaced wire
regulated.

It took a little over two hours to do the whole thing.  I suspect that  I
could it could be done substantially more quickly with some experience.

The bottom line?  The piano sounds markedly better.  One can  play softly and
use the pedal without being overwhelmed by damper noise.

Just thought I'd share with all of you who have thought of doing this job,
or any that might have other input on  it.

Dave Stahl