Sound boards, wood and crown ( Old vs. New )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:19:05 -0800 (PST)

A soundboard that has compressed has done about all
the compressing its going to do. That's an advantage.
The resins have evaporated out their volatiles,
leaving a hard varnish coating on the cell interior
walls. That helps the wood be stiffer, and absorb
vibrations less, transmittinmg them instead of
converting them to heat energy. That's an advantage
because more vibration will then activate the board
surface which interfaces with the air, creating sound.
More energy will also be able to spread around the
board from its initial entry point under the bridge.
That's an advantage. The interior, evacuated area of
the cells will also help color the tone, creating that
"warm" sound, I do believe. And I consider this an
advantage.
     The DIS-advantage of old boards, then, is simply
that they have lost crown, or become S-shaped in cross
section: so they do not exert enough resistance
against downbearing in a uniform, resilient manner, to
extract from the strings the energy necessary to
create sound in a well-defined manner with decay
across a wide dynamic range.
     I just played a new, large, Steinway upright. It
was very nice for an upright! But something was
lacking in its tone that even my 106 year old,
unrestored Everett upright has.
     I believe that if the technique of recrowning old
boards can be "perfected", it would be as good an
alternative as board replacement.
     Thump

P.S. The above represents my opinion, and is not to be
construed as fact.