backchecks

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:32:24 -0500

Is replacing them an option? The old ones can be spun off and new ones spun
on quickly.
Even if you only have a few to replace, you could use some which don't
match and replace the set later;
install the odd ones at the extremes and replace those in the center (if
that's where they are).

There have been a few sets which were more worn in the center on the
action. I spun them off and swapped
them with the ones at the extremes. It's a good way to extend the service
life of a set.
I like to use the check-holding tool mounted in a hand-cranked drill. It is
more controllable than an electric drill.

Use a belt sander to reduce the checkering and improve the arc of the tails
to prevent further deterioration.
I don't checker the tails any more for two reasons: rapid leather wear and
louder check-in noise.  If there is
a problem checking, more than likely it's the fault of the condition of the
leather than the tail.  Tails can become
slick but extreme roughing has it's drawbacks.  The old dried leather
should be replaced.
Backchecks are one of the most neglected aspects in regards to leather
condition.

But if your going to replace only a few leather covers, use thick CA and
plan on replacing the set down the line.

Regards,

Jon Page