soundboards

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:18:00 -0800

>  Ask Dave Andersen about new versus old. He didn't know if new could matc=
h or
> equal a really fine old board that had retained many of it's magic proper=
ties.
> And now....................

And now I found somebody relatively close to me and great & easy to work
with who showed me that a new board done by a wizard could sing and be
mysterious and have a lot of color---just like an old board.

And I=B9m about the harshest critic I know, brother.  Frankly, I really don=B9t
like the sound of most new boards I=B9ve heard that have been installed in
private shops---in fact, I hadn=B9t heard any I liked until the last 3 years.
Here=B9s the rundown:
1. at Faust Harrison Pianos in NYC; whoever their board guy is, or was---I
heard he left there---is a stone monster; his boards really speak.
2. in Del Fandrich=B9s shop in Washington, although I couldn=B9t give the thing
a real test drive; the piano wasn=B9t quite finished yet, and
3. in Modesto, California, on a D and a B that Ol=B9 Mr. Erwin produced.  And=
,
then, having listened, been transported, and drunk the Kool-Aid, so to
speak, I decided have him put a board in a piano for one of my clients---a
1902 short A---and it was glorious. Now---I=B9ve heard that Chris Robinson=B9s
boards sing, and I=B9m certain there=B9s other guys around someplace----which
I=B9m really happy about. But soundboard wizards seem to be rare as hen=B9s
teeth.

So---I still LOVE old Steinway and Mason & Hamlin boards that have retained
their crown, their integrity; if you come to Sacramento in February, you ca=
see one or two of our (me and Steve Bellieu) vintage board pianos right up
next to one or two of Dale=B9s new board pianos; ours have high-compression
hammers; his have low-compression hammers; you can A/B =8Cem to your heart=B9s
content. I=B9ll be pissed if I don=B9t see a certain percentage of you geezers
there.....(apologies to the forever-young women and the mercifully
temporarily young fools....)   ;--)

With love, respect, and best wishes to all....

David Andersen