soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:04:11 EST

Hi Stephane
  I enjoy this post & your thoughtfulness to  the subject. Just  a couple Of=
=20
comments interspersed  below

Stephane writes
A soundboard is a filter (even a  resonant one).  No way all the energy of=20
the string will ever end up in  acoustic energy, nor will the ineluctable lo=
sses=20
ever be even through the  scale.  And that is great.  A soundboard has a=20
personality that  comes from what one would describe as defects in regard of=
 the=20
basis  parameters.  I would describe the personality of a board as the uniqu=
e =20
blend it features between many more parameters, such as subtle and =20
aesthetically more or less interesting discrepancies curves in volume, susta=
in  and=20
evenness across the scale of each of the partials of each note, their  thump=
, and=20
the resonance's in release phase.
Unfortunately (ah, maybe not),  this is much less easy to have under control=
,=20
and leads us to humility in  front of the miracle of nature, as there exist=20
some blends that make you  believe in god, while others, uh, not  really.

...>>>>> I agree in a way, that even  with some tonal defects many older=20
boards have a charming musical quality about  them, But When the defects bec=
ome to=20
great however, which, is usually in  the 5th & 6th and then into the 4th=20
octaves the quality of musical  expression diminishes & that's when my ears=20=
get=20
disinterested. Disinterest  because of loss of sustain in the melody range w=
hich=20
is replaced with the  insidious thwacking percussive sound I can't voice out=
=20
nor tolerate in  music.

=20
This being said, my opinion about  old soundboards is that they have gathere=
d=20
with time (cell crush, down in  resine percentage, loss of elasticity,=20
whatever) a stronger and more unique  personality, as defined here.=20

  > I Assume you mean more personality than a  new board.
   I think humbly, this conclusion is  really subjective. If you mean a=20
stronger or more unique personality to  that of a new rib crowned or redesig=
ned=20
board system  then I would ask if  you've had opportunity to hear one of the=
=20
boards( & personalities  thereof) that many of us are producing in private s=
hops=20
here in the U.S.=20
  From the point of view of a winemaker he has  had opportunity to taste goo=
d=20
old wines & newer wines compare the  two  or many. He has a different=20
experience & exposure to many more expereinces  than the casual wine drinker=
 who, may=20
think that two buck chuck ( cheap wine  here) is a fine delicacsy.
   All this to say Many wonderful soundboard  tones & personality comes in=20
many forms & flavors & many of  those are new one off boards produced in sma=
ll=20
shops.
  Ask Dave Andersen about new versus old. He  didn't know if new could match=
=20
or equal a really fine old board that had  retained many of it's magic=20
properties. And  now....................
=20
 The whole life of a soundboard  contributes to it's unique sound.  This=20
doesn't mean that all personalities  please me.  But the personalities who d=
o are=20
not at all the most  powerful and long lasting and most even across scale of=
=20
every parameter  ones.
 The fact is that crown ,bearing & tone  have a life span. My expereince her=
e=20
in the U.S. is that many techs, dealers  & general public simply want to giv=
e=20
some unrealistic mystique &  expectaion to a board that has out lived it's=20
life, performed  well, but thru time lost it's vitality. The result of this=20=
  &=20
I see it ALL the time is that pianos that are  "rebuilt" or rebuilt and sold=
=20
under some B.S. notion that it has the original  board & that old  is superi=
or=20
is disengenuos & ignorant at  best & false advertising or fraud at worst.
 Many Folks are getting ripped off. It's very  easy as a tech to fall into=20
the trap of giving an estimate of repair with the  over optimistic idea  tha=
t=20
the old ,flat,cracked to  smithereens board will somehow come to life if cer=
tain=20
incantations are  performed over it or magic varnish is applied.
 Know how I know??? Cause long ago  I used  to be there & was disappointed &=
=20
my sleep  suffered.
=20

=20
=20
Same for old boards, in my opinion.  When I  hear an old piano in need of=20
restoration, I always take the time to tune it,  and I can then hear, even w=
ith=20
worn hammers, loss of crown etc. if the  board has a personality (that is,=20
thus, a blend of so called defects) that  makes me want to give it it's chan=
ce to=20
appear in full monthly.  If I  don't feel it has potential, I don't buy it.

 Your ears are  probably really good &  you can hear it, meaning defects and=
=20
loss of crown & tonal vitality..  For me I just had to get honest & put myse=
lf=20
in the place of the poor  trusting client and ask. Would I wanto to pay for=20
the product I was  producing. After restoring everything else would I=20
compromise the very soul  of the instrument.
   The answer became a resounding   NO!!

=20
Newer boards may or may not have  personality.  In my world, they are like=20
1m75 blondes with B2 breasts and  sinusoidal shape at hips with 65 kg weight=
 and=20
red lipstick.  Why do I  prefer redheads with the nose slightly bent to the=20
left a tiny bit overweight  and with intelligence in the look ?

 May I suggest Stephane, that it's  possible the new boards you are hearing=20
probably do look  like the blondes you describe. A good rib crowned new boar=
d=20
however  has a lot of personality & probably resembles your taste in  redhea=
ds.=20
Yeah Baby!!!!!!
  Friendly greetings back your  way
  Dale