soundboards

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:00:43 -0800

The real question of whether a new soundboard will sound as good as an
old soundboard can't really be answered.  It depends on the condition of
the old board versus the successful execution of the new board.  There
undoubtedly are cases where an old board sounds as good or even better
than a new one.  All other things being equal, however, a new board will
sound better than a 100-year-old board.  Even with less than perfect
execution, the new board will most likely still sound better.  It's rare
that I've heard a 100-year-old board that was still doing its job it is
supposed to do.  And on a D, maybe less than rare.  So, I'll take my
chances on the new one every time.