soundboards

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:43:52 +0100

On 18-jan-05, at 22:02, Terry wrote:

> New D. Sell it for $90K. Buy an old one for $15K. Dump $40K into it
> and have
> a better-than-new piano and $35K left over.
>
> I have an idea you won't like that answer either.

As I said before, my hypothetical gift of two beautiful Steinway D's
was free, gratis, ne pas de moolah.
Alright?

> Do you mean I would have to live with my selection for some decades to
> come?
> Let's assume so. Would the old one be original condition? By chance
> was the
> old D hermetically sealed in a climate-controlled box and never played
> for
> the last hundred years (and maybe the soundboard blocked up so that the
> panel didn't crush?)?

No, we're talking about an un-used new D versus a used hundred year old
D because what you describe : a hermetically sealed climate controlled
box D is very rare and probably not existing.
Besides, the issue here is : old wood versus new wood.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Vita Dura Est