soundboards

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:02:44 -0500

New D. Sell it for $90K. Buy an old one for $15K. Dump $40K into it and have
a better-than-new piano and $35K left over.

I have an idea you won't like that answer either.

Do you mean I would have to live with my selection for some decades to come?
Let's assume so. Would the old one be original condition? By chance was the
old D hermetically sealed in a climate-controlled box and never played for
the last hundred years (and maybe the soundboard blocked up so that the
panel didn't crush?)? Would I have my pick from 20 new Ds and 20 old Ds? If
not, I would take a new D for sure. If I had a choice among many, I would
look at all of them, but would be willing to bet that I'd pick a new one.

Age has this nasty habit of slowly destroying a piano. 100 years is way more
than enough time for age to destroy a piano.

Terry Farrell