No-Listen Pitch Raise, was: Advice on a half tone pitch raise

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:35:06 -0500

Phil, I know you talked a bit about this topic before. I have tried it a =
couple times - and said "never again!" No doubt I am doing something =
wrong. But when I have tried this I just end up with individual strings =
anywhere from a half-step flat to a half-step sharp (or worse???). No =
doubt the overall pitch of the piano was raised, but it's not as if I =
can tune from that point - and even if I wanted to do an overall pitch =
adjustment from that point, I wouldn't know whether to pull individual =
strings sharp or flat to end up at pitch - because they are all over the =
place. Except for putting additional tension on the plate, I don't seem =
to really get anywhere doing this. And in many ways it is worse because =
of the haphazard result. Maybe you've just got a much better feel for =
how much to turn the pin. If you do this on a piano that, let's say, is =
50 cents flat (so we could pitch raise in one pass easily - or do you =
only do this when more than one PR pass is anticipated?), how close to =
target pitch could you end up with a no-listen PR pass?

Terry Farrell

(snip)