bottom board

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:11:44 -0500

The short answer: yes. Better than regular plywood, but maybe not good =
enough.

I think it would largely depend on what species of wood was used in the =
plies. But you are correct to think that five solid well-glued plies of =
poplar should hold a screw as well as a solid piece of poplar and better =
than five poorly glued and fitted plies of who-knows-what wood - after =
all, a 11 plies of a multi-ply maple pinblock holds a screw as well as a =
solid block of maple. I think it is just that most plywood is =
poor-quality wood that has gaps, etc. Most marine ply is better wood, =
but one would have to inquire as to what specie the plies are. And I =
wouldn't expect a piece of marine ply to hold a screw as well as a =
same-thickness hunk of solid maple - but better than a piece of CDX =
plywood.

Terry F