Spring clip to secure fallboard

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:46:45 -0600

Odd that this post should arise today. Just tuned a newish Steck (That's
funny, it doesn't LOOK newish) and darned near had my fingers amputated =
by
the fallboard. I removed it for tuning and when I put it back, I bent =
the
little leaf spring about 30 degrees and substantially increased it's =
ability
to hold the lid open. Some "repairs" are easy, yet satisfying, are they =
not?
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 2:58 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Spring clip to secure fallboard

David Stahl asked: "Does anyone have a recommendation for a leaf-spring =
type
securing  device? =20
I've seen a few in catalogues, but was wondering if anyone could  offer
input=20
on this."
=20
David,
I've done this on a few. There needs to be sufficient clearance for the
fallboard to clear the first part of the spring. I installed mine at =
about a
45 degree angle w/the screw on the bottom, (just past the location of =
the
bottom of the fallboard, in the open position.) The spring I'm referring =
is for Steinways. It's about 3/8" wide and about 3 1/2" to 4" long. In =
this
retrofit the back of the cover started to engage about 1/3rd of the the =
way
up.
I hope this helps.=20
Best Regards,