Dels comments -steel plates

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:53:39 -0800

Re: California Convention--10 ft 2" FazioliNo. But it was one a series I was
able to study and draw information from when it came time for me to start
working with steel plates. Baldwin built quite a number of these pianos and,
based on their experience with them, came very close to building a plant to
produce steel plates for just about all of their vertical pianos. The
bankruptcy of "Baldwin United" ended the project just a week or so before
the contracts were to be signed.

Del

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of tom driscoll
  Sent: January 17, 2005 6:24 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Dels comments -steel plates

    ----- I've written about this at length several times in the past (and
will be talking about it next month in Sacramento) but, briefly:

    None of us have a whole lot of experience with steel plates. My standard
reply when this question comes up is, "How many pianos with steel plates
have you worked on and has this been a problem with any of them?" My own
experience has been limited to building a few prototype and experimental
pianos in R&D labs. None in production. But I have never had a problem with
ringing in any part of the plate. <SNIP>

        Del,
        I serviced an Acrosonic that had a plate constructed of steel  .If I
remember the material was from 1/4" to 1/2" , welded together .  This  piano
seemed not unlike the other hundreds of Acro's I seen.
        I think this was a 60's piano and am wondering if this was one of
yours,
        Best always,
        Tom Driscoll