Dels comments -steel plates

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:23:43 -0500

Re: California Convention--10 ft 2" Fazioli
  ----- I've written about this at length several times in the past (and =
will be talking about it next month in Sacramento) but, briefly:

  None of us have a whole lot of experience with steel plates. My =
standard reply when this question comes up is, "How many pianos with =
steel plates have you worked on and has this been a problem with any of =
them?" My own experience has been limited to building a few prototype =
and experimental pianos in R&D labs. None in production. But I have =
never had a problem with ringing in any part of the plate. <SNIP>

      Del,
      I serviced an Acrosonic that had a plate constructed of steel  .If =
I remember the material was from 1/4" to 1/2" , welded together .  This  =
piano seemed not unlike the other hundreds of Acro's I seen.
      I think this was a 60's piano and am wondering if this was one of =
yours,
      Best always,
      Tom Driscoll