requestion information, opinions on 1994 Estonia

Lucien Needham profln@shaw.ca
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:59:32 -0800

Dear All,

In my experience, William Munroe is absolutely on the mark re the touch of
Estonia grands: not only is it heavy, but it seems to be impossible to play
those instruments at speed with any relaxation and, consequently
finesse.....

Lucien Needham

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Pianotech
Sent: 16 January 2005 16:45
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: requestion information, opinions on 1994 Estonia

Mark,

As you can guess, I see a fair number of 'em.  Biggest problem I see with
those is suspect pin blocks.  The Estonia pin blocks have been hit and miss
for me.  Some great, some terrible after only a couple years.  Sooooo, I
would recommend your client hire you to do a quick inspect of the entire
instrument (of course) paying particular attention to the pin block.  Also,
the action weighting on these could be improved, so just make sure your
client is happy with the touch before buying.  They tend to play a bit on
the heavy side, and, of course there are things that can be done after the
fact to remedy this, but it generally goes beyond simple regulation changes,
i.e. getting into stanwood type stuff.

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.