even more Damp-Chaser thoughts

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:47:11

Hi John,

Add a bottom cover. It takes very little airflow to "overcome" the surface
effect of a DC unit, so right now the unit is really trying to humidify the
whole room.

Temperature variations do have an effect on unisons, and the weekly
variations, such as they are subjecting this instrument to, are more than
enough to smear the unisons very quickly. I'd suggest a floor length cover
that is nice and thick.

You mention the lid being closed--does that mean music desk "down", and
fully closed? I'd also consider an Edwards String cover in this situation.

Your hammer technique is not going to overcome envirnomental change. Please
have a look at my website and the article "Fine Tuning the Environment for
Pianos".

At 07:57 PM 14/01/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thanks everyone for the replies! Just to provide more details since some
asked:

> I installed the recommended system from dampp-chaser with the smart heater
>bar, in the way as was illustrated. They leave the lid closed all week
>until Sundays, with the heating set to 56 all week (unless there's an
>event). There is no bottom cover. They have reported to me the low-water
>light was blinking occasionally, but I'm pretty sure they keep up with
>watering the piano.
>
>Maybe it's as Dean reported. It'd also probably be a big help to keep track
>of the things Joe suggested.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-- John

Regards,