even more Damp-Chaser thoughts

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:24:16 -0800

Please keep in mind that ALL new pianos need many, many tunings until they
are reasonably stable. New piano wire continues to stretch for a couple
years or more, depending on how many times its tuned duting that time. even
a humidity control system will not keep it in tune for long if the strings
are new and still stretching.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Bec and John <bjsilva001@comcast.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: even more Damp-Chaser thoughts
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:57:01 -0500

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just to provide more details since some
asked:

This is in a church in eastern PA, very large room with forced air heat. The
piano is about 3 years old. There is a vent within 6 feet of the piano
(behind the bench), but the air comes out gently rather than
"blown" out. I installed the recommended system from dampp-chaser
with the smart heater bar, in the way as was illustrated. They leave the lid
closed all week until Sundays, with the heating set to 56 all week (unless
there's an event). There is no bottom cover. They have reported to me the
low-water light was blinking occasionally, but I'm pretty sure they keep up
with watering the piano.

Perhaps the problem may be related to my hammer technique on this piano.
I've only tuned 2 Bostons, both new, and I don't like the feel of the pins.
Though I've performed on this piano once (and I tuned it) and the unisons
stayed nice.

Maybe it's as Dean reported. It'd also probably be a big help to keep track
of the things Joe suggested.

Thanks!

-- John