Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:55:44 EST

In a message dated 1/13/05 5:08:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
toddpianoworks@yahoo.com writes:

When  you're on the phone scheduling an appointment with a client, and you
ask the  question "How long has it been since the piano was last tuned", and
they say  "over 10 years", then you mention the pitch raise and the extra cost
involved,  and that their piano may need it....do you also mention that some
strings  might break over the phone, or do you wait till you're at their home
before you bring it up?

If the client suggests that the piano is drastically out of tune, I tell
them about the pitch raise and appropriate fee on the phone.  I don't  usually
mention possible string breakage until I can get to the house and assess  the
condition of the piano in person.  I always tell them the facts before  a
drastic PR, and inform them of their financial responsibility in the  matter.

Dave Stahl