Trimming Key End Felt

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:18:04 -0500

Nothing "super slick" here. I just use a razor blade held in my fingers,
switching to a fresh one every 5 or 6 keys.

R.Cromwell
Chptr 481

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Pianotech
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 9:49 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Trimming Key End Felt

Hello all,

As I've just finished up trimming the key end felts in a new S&S (they were
rubbing on the under-levers, causing the keys to not return), I'm wondering
if any of you have a super-slick method for doing this, whether mopping up,
or just having replaced the end-felts yourself.

I just did it using a VERY sharp 1" chisel.  I turned the key over on the
edge of the bench so that only the underfelt is resting on the bench, press
down a bit to make the felt a little more firm, and then slice the offending
material off.  It worked, OK, but not great.  Any ideas for something
better?

Many thanks,
William R. Monroe
Madison, WI