even more Dampp-Chaser thoughts

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:29:07 -0500

I've seen this phenomenon. On some pianos that I've observed it takes a year
or so and a couple of tunings to get the thing stabilized. Could be that it
is still experiencing new piano instability as well. If it is just unisons
going out, my unisons gained considerable stability when I started using
earplugs.

OTH, make sure there are no drafts on the piano, no heating-a/c registers
nearby, etc. For churches or other institutions I also recommend closing the
piano between performances, sometimes even a top cover. A bottom cover
should also be considered.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Bec and John
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 10:36 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: even more Dampp-Chaser thoughts

Hi,

It's been about 3 months since my first dampp-chaser installation. I
did a tuning about 4-5 weeks after the installation. In addition, I did
a big touch up of unisons and octaves mid-December.

Just recently I checked this piano (a Boston GP-193) and was surprised
just how out the unisons were - I was expecting some noticeable
improvement in the stability of the piano's tuning. Unfortunately I
don't keep any kind of detailed notes about the state of the piano's
tuning when I tune it, but from my memory (I've been tuning it for
around 2 years, very regularly) it doesn't seem any more stable.

Any thoughts from those with much experience with dampp-chasers?

Thanks.

-- John