Creative ways to find new customers

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:04:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Renz Piano Tuning / Repair" <pianotuner@frontiernet.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 1:30 PM
Subject: Creative ways to find new customers

>I am looking for some creative ways to grow the business and find new
> customers.  Can someone share ways that helped grow your business?  I
> have been using the yellow pages and ad's in the penny saver and that
> has helped some. Just looking for more ideas. Thanks!
>
> Doug Renz
> Associate PTG
> Rochester, NY
> pianotuner@frontiernet.net

    Jeez, I thought this would have a jillion replies, but since no one has
yet, I'll throw in a few things:
    -offer piano teachers a discount if they recommend you to their students
or keep your cards handy for them
    -go in person to all the places in your neighborhood (schools, churches,
etc.) that might have a piano and ask if they have a regular tuner and are
they satisfied with the service, etc.
    -if your neighborhood has a local newsletter or paper, an ad in there
might be more effective than the Yellow Pages or Thrifty Nickel, since
people who look in the latter two are looking for the lowest bidder,
usually.
    -some technicians claim a magnetic sign fastened to their car gets them
new business
    -mainly, give the best service you can, and word of mouth will be your
best advertisement.   Throw in a few little extras, like tightening bench
legs, adjusting the pedals, tightening the music rack, adjusting a few
capstans, etc.  Not all these for free every time, mind you, but just enough
to let them know you care if their piano is in good shape or not
     If you bike or walk around your neighborhood regularly and see pianos
through people's windows, or hear them being played, make note of the house,
and go around sometime, dressed nicely, and knock on a few doors -- "I
noticed you have a piano and wondered if you have a regular tuner.  I live
in the neighborhood, and blah blah....."
    This could go on and on -- it's like any other business as far as
getting your name out there, I guess -- spread your card all over the place:
bulletin boards in music departments of colleges, music stores; leave extras
with customers to give to their relatives, neighbors, friends, etc.
    --David Nereson, RPT