Creative ways to find new customers

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:40:46 -0600

Peruse the archives for much discussion on this topic.

For me, advertising is mostly a waste of money. If you are in a competitive
urban area you do probably have to be in the Yellow Pages, but don't blow
big bucks on a big ad. Here in the sticks, I'm only in Yellow Pages that
will give me a free listing.

My best and most enduring customers have always come from referrals and word
of mouth. But that doesn't mean you can't actively fish for new
customers--it just means go out and press the flesh rather than relying on
ads. Walk in to churches, schools, nursing homes, etc. Have business cards
with you at all times. Tell everyone you meet--EVERYONE--what you do and
give them a card.

The clerk at the convenience store, for example: "Do you have a piano in
your home?" If the answer is no: "Do you know someone who does? Would you
give them this card for me? Thank you." No? "How about your church?" Etc.,
etc.

This can and should be an ongoing project. The hardest part is just
remembering to have cards with you and opening your mouth. It really works.

Signage on your vehicle works. People WILL stop you in parking lots.

Hanging info packets on church doorknobs (or mailing them) did NOT work very
well for me. The thing that is guaranteed to bring you business--good
customers--is MEETING potential customers or referral sources FACE-TO-FACE.
And it's cheap and easy to do.

Even if they are not in the mood for a tuning consider this ... Are they
more likely to see an ad, jot down the number, and post it on the fridge OR
to stick your card up there--especially if they already "know" you.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO