Glues,powders,softeners,etc

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:15:05 -0000

Hi List,
In a workshop situation it is easy to set-up a small pan of beach sand on an
electric stove, and carefully immerse each hammer head until the glue
softens. Be careful not to over-heat the sand and burn the moulding and felt,
but this method works a treat. Just pull head off when glue softens.
Bruce Browning-The Piano Tuner.

John Ross <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca> said:

> Hi Andre,
> The hammer glue, it is very hard to remove the hammer on a broken shank.
> I have had some success with heat, how do you remove the Yamaha hammer
heads?
> Best regards,
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
> jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca

just like the Yamaha hammer glue.
>   It is a white, expanding, glue, does not drip and thus forms a nice
collar or ring around the shank.
>   We just improved it and found the perfect formula, meaning that it is
perfect. It gets stone hard and forms a very tight connection between the
hammer head and the shank. The fact that it expands means that the drilling
can be wide. This gives you ample time to position the hammers.