Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:21:12 -0600

Terry said:
=20
"... I convinced a lady to junk her "Grand" spinet because all hammers =
were
bobbling, dampers were oinking, damper lift rod was broke, hammer butt =
was
broke, several bass strings were missing, bass bridge was cracked, bass
bridge was tearing soundboard apart at glue joint, frame/pinblock was
separating, hammers were deeply grooved, and pitch was a full step flat. =
think that was all."
=20
I'd describe that piano as about average for my area. Well, just =
kidding,
but SOME days it seems like it. I suggested to one fellow that he let me =
put
his beloved 60's P.A. Stark spinet to sleep and he asked if there was =
any
chance it was still under warranty.=20
=20
My favorites are the guys who play a guitar or violin or something--that
they tune every time they pick up--and can't understand why you think =
their
piano needs tuning. After all, their grandfather had it tuned when he
brought it home (and the delivery wagon WAS did have the canvas cover on =
keep out most of the rain).
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO