Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:44:16 -0500

I do exactly as you say, but I do not address potential string breakage =
over the phone. I just don't feel it is necessary to go into that detail =
on the phone - we don't even know for sure yet that the piano will need =
a pitch raise (yeah, right!).

And BTW, even if they state that the piano was tuned within the last =
year, I still tell them it's $40 for a pitch raise if the piano is =
significantly below standard pitch - "your piano should be up to pitch =
if it were tuned to standard pitch within the past year - but I can tell =
you for sure when I see the piano." I used to ask them to play middle C =
over the phone to get an idea of pitch - back when I had a piano in my =
home. I liked doing that. It was kinda fun seeing how close you could =
come.

Terry Farrell

P.S. Today was a good day for servicing pianos. I convinced a lady to =
junk her "Grand" spinet because all hammers were bobbling, dampers were =
oinking, damper lift rod was broke, hammer butt was broke, several bass =
strings were missing, bass bridge was cracked, bass bridge was tearing =
soundboard apart at glue joint, frame/pinblock was separating, hammers =
were deeply grooved, and pitch was a full step flat. I think that was =
all. I told her she could likely spend a "grand" on the piano and, at =
best, end up with a poorly performing piano (I think I may have used the =
"J"-word - oops!). She agreed to cut her losses. (After she asked about =
how to dispose of the piano, I described how her 16 year old son could =
have a very good time disassembling the piano for easier disposal) We =
talked about piano shopping for a good while and she appears to be ready =
to buy a new or used full upright and spend up to $5K.  So cool.  :-)

  Hi List,

  When you're on the phone scheduling an appointment with a client, and =
you ask the question "How long has it been since the piano was last =
tuned", and they say "over 10 years", then you mention the pitch raise =
and the extra cost involved, and that their piano may need it....do you =
also mention that some strings might break over the phone, or do you =
wait till you're at their home before you bring it up?

  Matthew Todd