Disturbing Discovery, was Public Apology

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:36:55 -0600

This points out something that I've been meaning to post.

I've talked to several techs who are strictly in the "lurker" category
because, they admit, they don't want to expose themselves to the occasional
ego blasts, sharp rebukes, and whatthehelldoyouknow comments that pop up
here now and again.

 Often, maybe usually, we really don't intend to come across that way
(Richard's post a clear example) we just zip off some words without
considering their impact. I know I've done it, and tried to chomp on some
humble pie when I did (if I even realized or was told that I did). And I've
had my tongue stomped on a couple of times, too. It isn't pleasant

On the plus side, we don't seem to be getting the all-out, one-on-one ego
wars that were all too common a couple of years ago. So, maybe we're
learnin' and growin'. Which IS the idea of the list, n'est pas?

Anyway, I think it's sad that we don't get good questions, comments, and
insights from all of these under-the-radar folks. Who are by no means all
newbies.

And, to you folks lurking out there beneath the cybersea, newbies and shy
old pros, we'd love to hear from you. After all, sticks and stones can break
your bones, but blurbs will never hurt you, i.e., bits don't byte.

Alan R. Barnard
Thinkin' too much in Salem, MO