Key Friction

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:15:16 +0100

Think of the key stick as a simple lever.  You have a fulcrum, and you
have two lengths on either side going out from there. Then the
expression d1 X W1 = d2 X W2 explains what weights need to go where to
balance things.

If a key stick is exactly the same distance from the front to the
fulcrum as it is from the back to the fulcrum, and its own weight is
equal on both sides, then placing any weight on the back will balance
the same weight on the front.

Keysticks are seldom perfect like this... the back half of the key
weighs generally less then the front half, and the balance pin hole is
not neccessarilly at the center of the entire length of the key.

Terrys method prebalances the key, so all you need to do is make sure
that the distance you go away from the fulcrum is identical on either
side. Measure :)

Cheers
RicB