seeking wood screws

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:12:42 -0800

I sometimes use a Hoosier milling machine (commonly called a hack saw) =
for the slot.  Hack saw blades are not thick enough so an abrasive cable =
used in it can enlarge it.  If I had to do a lot of them, I'd build some =
kind of jig.

I checked McMaster-Carr.  3/8 x 4 inch hanger bolts are 11.04 for 25 =
pieces.  Set screws are $8.50 for 10 pieces 3 1/5 inches long. You can =
use threaded rod but the rim is already threaded for wood.  Another way =
to fix the nut is to use 2 jam nuts to lock them in place.  You may have =
to counterbore the rim or chisel clearance to get the plate low enough.

Carl Meyer
PTG assoc =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 12:36 PM
  Subject: RE: seeking wood screws

  >>I always fix the nut below with locktite and or a set screw.  So =
that is not a problem.  The nut below must be positioned so that the =
acorn nut does not bottom out.  If the hanger bolt is too long, I cut it =
off to proper length and then slot the end to allow it to be turned with =
a flat blade screwdriver. =20

  Carl,

  Not to be stupid, but how do you cut your slot in the bolt so a screw =
driver will fit it? Do you just make a careful cut with a hacksaw, or =
maybe a 4" cut off grinder? Also, do you then just use basic threaded =
rod instead of these expensive socket cap screws?

  Thanks for the beeswax tip.

  Dean