That's Business! Was Baldwin, Yamaha, etc.

Bob Sutton bsutton@whiteserv.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:17:12 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C4F595.210A6C80
MessageThis is hilarious!  I just wish it wasn't so painfully possible =
in our future world based economy.  And Gibson, what are they thinking?  =
Just because they have built and sold guitars, they imagined that =
manufacturing and marketing Pianos would be a snap, a future gold mine?

Bob Sutton
League City, TX
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 12:14 PM
  Subject: That's Business! Was Baldwin, Yamaha, etc.

  Gibson took over with two results:

  Good: Gibson believes in shipping quality products, so Baldwin got a =
shake-up wake-up in that regard.

  Bad: Gibson likes SuperStores selling their whole line with big =
inventories. They don't like Mom & Pop shops. You don't get to tell them =
what inventory level you want--they tell you. Many, many long-time good =
and loyal Baldwin dealers were forced out by Gibson's goonish tactics.

  Take a hurting company, spend borrowed bucks to improve quality & =
image (good idea, I guess), then make the product less accessible and =
less visible to Mr. & Mrs. America (dumb idea, methinks).

  Yamaha? Well, what a great opportunity for after-market parts makers. =
Even patents will not protect them if they will not supply what the =
consumer needs to maintain products Yamaha made (who cares when and =
where it was bought and sold).=20

  A parallel model: UPS, FedEx, and all the rest would never have gotten =
the tiniest toe-hold in the package business if the USPS hadn't had its =
bureaucratic head up its quasi-governmental backside back in its =
total-monopoly days.

  No point in whining or complaining about business practices because =
you can't fix stupid. Better to opt optimistically for options and =
opportunities. (Ain't that awsomely alliterative?)

  Maybe Wal-Mart will buy the Baldwin name and have Pearl River build =
pianos to sell in their Communist-Chinese, Slave-Market Outlet =
SuperStores--I can see the fallboard decal now ...

  LESTER-BALDWIN
  Built by the lowest bidder -- Made in China -- Stored for 3 years in =
an open shed in Haiti
  Grand Exalted Winner of Every Conceivable Award, Paris 1884
  Elusive AtchooHarm Action
  Patented Tone Dud soundboard made from real wood by-products, mostly, =
and guaranteed free of workmanship, quality, and tone for 25 years!
  Some Assembly Required -- Warranty void if Opened or Played

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  --

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C4F595.210A6C80