seeking wood screws

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:33:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C4F56D.6EDCEFF0
All this talk of screw sources has had me browsing some of these sites. Very
cool. I've always tried to maintain an organized supply of various screw
types and sizes which has been a huge asset. But it is not always easy to
get big boxes of the sizes you want any more. Most places only sell the
little 15 piece plastic packages (very expensive way to buy screws).

Anyway, I have been wanting to do the plate suspension trick for adjusting
downbearing. Del spoke of it at the recent Indy conference. This involves
threading socket cap screws (headless bolts with recessed allen socket) into
the inner rim, running down a lock nut upside down with a washer on top (a
sufficient clearance well counterbored into the soundboard), the plate
lowered onto the washer, a chrome washer and acorn nut on top. The height of
the plate can then be easily raised or lowered by removing the acorn nut and
turning the stud with and allen wrench.

Attached is what I ordered. I got the hanger screws just for fun. If the
machine thread doesn't work well, which Del said it would thread right into
the wood, I can always fall back on the hanger screws with their lag thread.

Does anyone have a recommended hole size to drill the rim for the 3/8"
machine thread to screw into?

Blessings,

Dean