New Piano Referral

Phil Frankenberg philfrank56@comcast.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:00:42 -0800

I think a store should pay you full rate ,unless they send tuning =
referrals your way. Then the exchange is discounted tuning charge for =
giving you business. When I get a request from a store outside my area =
or that uses another tech, I tell them what I charge. =20
I'm with you on being independant in what store or piano you turn people =
on to. No conflict of interest etc. And when people find out you're =
honest , it does everyone a world of good.

Phil Frankenberg
CSU Chico, Ca.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 11:08 AM
  Subject: New Piano Referral

  Looking for an opinion or two.=20

  Recently I got calls from two people looking to buy a good vertical =
piano for their children that are taking piano lessons. One I did not =
know, and the other I had tuned their old piano several times. I gave =
them both an earful about used pianos. Both indicated some interest in =
considering a new vertical piano, but definately wanted to stay below =
$5K. Anyway, the bottom line was that one of the recommendations I gave =
them was to check out a particular store in the area and look at a =
couple of particular new pianos there. They did and both bought new =
studio pianos from that dealer. I have no relationship whatsoever with =
the dealer (I did a few floor tunings for him years ago) - just think he =
is an honest guy and I like the products he sells. I did not recommend =
any of the other several dealers in the area.

  I don't think it is unreasonable to conclude that I referred the =
customers to the dealer.

  The dealer called me and told me that these two people requested that =
I provide them their one free tuning that comes with the new piano. I =
asked what he pays for that type of tuning. He gave me a price that is =
50/85 of my normal tuning fee. I suppose there is every possibility the =
pianos may also need a pitch raise, which in that case, the fee quoted =
might be 50/125 of my normal pitch-raise-and-tuning fee.

  I've done these types of tunings before for stores and that type of =
low pay. I have to admit that I'm pretty much over that phase of my =
tuning career. But as a matter of principle, my gut tells me that the =
dealer should gladly pay me my standard tuning fee. I'm not asking for =
any type of commission related to the sale of the pianos. In fact, I =
don't want a comission - I enjoy the very independant nature of my =
business. It's just a matter of priciple to me - I should think he would =
pay my normal bill with a smile on his face.

  It is possible that he is not aware that I referred the customers to =
him (although, I would think so).

  Anyone have any experience/opinion on such a matter?

  Terry Farrell