I'd rather be tuning

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:41:19 -0500

 HEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hope y'all are unfrozen. Hope y'all got 'lectricity.

Hey, I just thought I would drop you a line and let you know I'm FINALLY =
doing something (in the learning department). I've been so far behind on =
these pianos, I had just wanted to get them done (but done right). I can =
really see now that I should have taken several years and done several =
pianos of my own and just analyzed them to death. Oh well, I'll get =
there. I might end up sweating a bunch, but I'll get it right.

I spent the morning measuring crown and bearing on the M&H upright I did =
to Del's design. (In the future, I'll probably want to adjust =
downbearing on that piano - it has too much downbearing in the treble =
and too little in the bass - maybe my first try was less perfect than I =
had thought (and I suppose that is why the damn thing has tons of crown =
in the bass and is flat up in the treble!). That's one thing nice about =
those vertical hitches - you can go back and fine-tune downbearing.

This evening I've been measuring the unstrung Knabe crown at all ribs =
(except the top four - they're above the belly rail). Del finally =
responded and gave me some angular downbearing targets - but they are =
for a loaded condition. So I dragged out my go-bars and did an initial =
first guess loading on the Knabe. I just measure along rib #3 to start =
with. Unloaded it had about 10 mm of crown. Target for loading was about =
6 mm. My initial try squished it down to 4 mm. I trimmed the go-bars a =
tad (they were a little thicker than the others in that area) and =
measured again. 5 mm this time.

So I guess you just jockey a few sticks around until things even out to =
target loading. This is the first time I have done this. I am absolutely =
shocked at how little pressure downward is required to deflect the =
soundboard. I had 7 go-bars pushing down.

Well, I'll play more with it tomorrow. This is great. I'm really feeling =
way more comfortable with this now. Thanks for all the input you've been =
shooing my way.

Stay warm! Snuggle up to that lovely wife of yours!  ;-)

Terry F

> Chicken Little was right - the sky is falling.=20
> I'm taking a warm-up break from trying to trim tree limbs with a pole =
saw=20
> in an ice storm before more of them break and take out the power line. =
More=20