back check wires

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:48:21 -0500

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> I can understand the sentiment of trying to protect the dealer
> network, but cutting off the technicians who are trying to service
> pianos from every source and trying to use the best quality parts in
> the process seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I was under the impression that grey market Yamahas were common
knowledge in our field. Wrong again.

Conrad, your note is pretty much how I feel about the subject..and in
Yamaha's defense, I understand their position also. They will not
support units/pianos/instruments that were not designated for this
climate/market. It probably goes alot deeper than that, but essentially
that is their position.
 It's kind of sad because the people with the grey market pianos had no
idea what they were buying. They thought they were getting a good deal
on a quality instrument.

Less than a month ago, I got a call from a client that had just bought a
used Yamaha Grand from a now defunct dealership. What she got was a grey
market piano that needed alot of work. When I informed her about what
she had bought, she was of course upset and disappointed in herself for
not contacting me first, because if I had looked at the piano for her,
she would not own it now because the dealer was asking way too much for
what it was. It's a vicious circle that has no end for us, the technicians.

Phil Bondi(Fl)