Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:00:10 -0800

Not to misunderstand, Mr. Zimmermann is not working with a Steinbuhler
action or reduced size action, he is just carrying his own full sized
action around with him.

>From what I understand from those who play on them, the Steinbuhler
action performs quite well, even over time.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

Been watching this thread with some interest. I've never seen one of
these, and actually was not aware of its existance. After looking at the

action I was stunned to see the angles in the keys needed to get this to

work. Personally, I have no doubt that pianists can adapt to whatever
width standard is out there. So long as there is a consistancy in step
height one will seldom stumble it is said.  But I have to wonder about
(without this meaning any negative prejudice) these horrific looking key

angles, and how that affects action performance over time.  I wonder if
any of you with experience out there could speak to that.

As far as the artist temporarilly installing such an action for every
piano he gives a concert on.... I have to immediatly wonder about
voicing issues.   The soul impediment must be because he's used to the
width of the octave.  I cant believe the end response is going to be the

same from instrument to instrument.

Cheers
RicB

Horace Greeley wrote:

>> Our piano preparatory department is just now starting to do some
>> experiments with younger students (Elementary age).  We have 3 studio
>> uprights with the 7/8 keyboards in addition to the grand actions.
I'm