Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:20:33 -0800

David, Cy,

At 07:47 PM 1/4/2005, you wrote:
>A good selling point,

Yes...but, not necessarily supportable in practice...pufferey is part of
advertising.

>  but many pianists claim that practicing on a less
>than optimized (at least in terms of weight) piano makes going to a
>better one easier and not vice versa.

This is strongly born out in my own experience.  I can immediately think of
at least two pianists who hold variations of this view.  In one case, the
person, throughout their undergraduate and graduate careers, consistently
chose to practice on different instruments every day.  At this point, they
can (and have) performed on instruments that would have left most other
pianists crying quietly in the corner.  In the other case, they knowingly
will not allow the NY hammers on their NY S&S instruments to even be
shaped, let alone hardened on the theory (again, born out by many years of
a successful concert career) that, if they can get sound out of those big,
marshmallow-y things, they can play anything.

To bring this thread back around a bit, pianists are, by and large, pretty
darned spoiled.  Yes, they are at the mercy of whatever instrument they
confront on the stage or in their studio (and, yes, this leads to things
like George Winston's contract rider).  At the same time, if the instrument
is anywhere near being reasonably well regulated, tuned and voiced, much
more is at stake in their own ability (or, perhaps, lack of it) than in the
perceived limitations of the piano.  The best ones know this
intimately.  The worst ones never figure it out.  And, we spend most of our
time and energy dealing with the ones in the middle who are convinced that
"if only the technician/piano were a little different...blahblahblah...".

Unfortunately, many brands of piano can "work" (at some level or other)
even when pretty woefully set up and poorly maintained, as a casual
listening at most recital and concert halls will quickly disclose.  I do
not necessarily fault other technicians in this.  Many, perhaps even most
times, there is simply insufficient time available (even if there is
budget) to properly maintain an instrument.

It's all a moving target...four dimensions, at least; and, no truly "right"
answer to be found.  So, one might as well celebrate the diversity; and be
thankful that it doesn't all sound like mush.

Best.

Horace