How do I free centers in the jungle? ( HELP ! PLEASE !!!! )

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:09:54 -0800

Gordon,

100 proof Vodka is 50% water, 50% alcohol.  It must not be flavored - Vodka
works, but you run the risk of adding sugars to the bushing, which is not
good.  50:50 is a very strong mix for sizing bushings.

Rubbing alcohol is usually 70% alcohol 30% water, which is a very effective
mix for most situations.  Be sure to check the ingredients - sometimes
rubbing alcohol contains skin soothing things.

Ideally, go to a drug store and get pure anhydrous (dry) methanol, and keep
it tightly sealed, as it will take on water if left open.  The drug store
may need a good explanation as to what you are using it for - it is not
sold freely.  Then you can do your own mix in the hypo-oiler and find what
works best for you.

In very humid places I recommend treating the parts, then waiting at least
2 days (4 is safer) for it to dry out.  Then ream and repin the remaining
parts.  If you fit the pins in humid conditions arts should stay good as
long as there are not contaminants in the felt, and corrosion isn't forming
on the pins.  If you can do the repinning, you will very quickly get a
reputation for being a miracle worker!

The hair drier will help speed up the drying, but may give an artificially
loose fit for a short time.  It will force the moisture out of the felt,
which will return pretty quickly.  That's why I prefer to wait a few days
and just air out the piano.

Don Mannino RPT