recycled Lumber

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:09:34 EST

Of interest to all  Recyclers  types
  I just finished  tearing apart an old Baldwin  upright of which I spoke in
"recycled technology". This piano had the usual huge  laminated beams  They
are comprised of some very decent maple & a very  large amount of  eastern or
white spruce. Most of this spruce is at least  20 grains an inch & some as high
as 27. I've  now got a pile of  rib stock worth about $250 & maple worth a
bundle. I'll try to download a  picture of this pile of wood. It took a couple
hours of time but the fun factor  was truly high. I could rib at least three
pianos with this recycled old growth  lumber.
   I see no reason not to use this once virgin old  growth lumber in current
rebuilds. From past discussions I see this as a  plus. Good lumber if treated
right is good lumber for many decades &  centuries.
    In fact some of the most beautiful tight  maple bridge cap material has
come from some of the other pianos/uprights I've  torn down. You can't buy wood
like that any more to my knowledge. I've  tried. The last batch of Bolduc
bridge cap stock was in my mind to wide &  hence too soft. That box was $200.00 !!
   My last big find of maple was from a friend  who sold me rough cut maple
planks that sat around air drying at Aeolian for a  long while &Then sat
another 20 years in various locales. I think it's well  aged  grin. It wasn't all
premium of course but much was. Rough cut  includes the knots.
   Any body else do this? I realize that all  uprights do not possess this
much quality wood but I'd say those from the turn  of the last century do.
That's when upright were the  king of home  entertainment center.
 Any body got a free upright?
    Dale  Erwin