Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:14:06 -0800

Hi, Dave,

Thanks very much!

A few questions/comments interspersed:

At 03:59 PM 1/4/2005, you wrote:
>Horace:
>
>We have had a 7/8 (actually 41.2") action for several years.  Most of
>the research that Dr. Leone has done has been with college age players
>who have small hands.  Her research so far indicates that these people
>can switch back and forth quite easily.  The main thing is that they
>simply have to choose repertoire appropriate for the piano they are
>playing.

Precisely...and, that is the crux - "they simply have to choose repertoire
appropriate for the piano they are playing".

>Dr. Leone herself has had a good career playing on standard actions but
>she gave up certain repertoire that was starting to cause injury on the
>standard keyboard.  Now with this keyboard she can go back to some of
>the pieces that she abandoned.

S&S urban legend used to have it that Hofmann developed his own action
(part of which included a smaller keyboard) partly for these same reasons.

>We just got a new 7/8 for one of our "D"s this past fall.  Tom Servinsky
>came here to install it for Mr. Steinbuhler.  He kept hearing one very
>good student practicing and was justifiably impressed.  At one point I
>introduced the two of them and since this 7/8 action has the new Ronson
>Wurzen hammers we asked the student to play it so we could hear it in
>the hall.  This particular student had never played a 7/8 action before
>and I was astounded at how well he played it that first time.  The
>transition has proved to be easier than most expected.

Yes - going to the smaller instrument does not seem to be a problem
(unless, of course, one has large hands).  My questions would be around the
folks who grow up (in a sense) playing the smaller keyboard.  What would
their experience be when moving back and forth?  Dr. Leone and the student
you mention have developed their technique on standard keyboards.

>Our piano preparatory department is just now starting to do some
>experiments with younger students (Elementary age).  We have 3 studio
>uprights with the 7/8 keyboards in addition to the grand actions.  I'm
>looking forward to reading the research on this.
>
>So far, our experience with the 7/8 actions has been very positive.

This is great!  I appreciate the response.  Please do not hear my obvious
skepticism as total negativity.  My own exposure to these actions has
(obviously) been limited.  I look forward to hearing more!

Best.

Horace