Lead

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:15:54 -0800

Ron N said: ">Hmm... I had it wrong, then; I had thought that it was =
impurities in lead=20
>that accelerated oxidization (making that white stuff).
>
>--Cy Shuster--

It is. Pure lead is stable. The surface oxidizes, but it doesn't =
exfoliate.=20
Just lies there quietly like a lump of lead.

Ron N,
Hmmmmmm? Having worked with most of the lead alloys, in my bullet/ball =
making hobby, I'd say we're both right. And we're both wrong.
The stuff that gets really swollen, etc., when melted/cast seems to be =
soft. This stuff is very good for the bullets in a black powder rifle. =
(I suspect it may have a small amount of tin. The pure lead, that I've =
melted, for use in balls for my Black Powder Pistol, is softer than the =
stuff above. It deforms more when loaded, which makes for a better seal =
in the cylinder. Wheel Weight lead, on the other hand, is only suitable =
for modern weaponry, as it holds it's shape better, in the reloading =
dies, etc., and in target shooting.
In conclusion, I suspect that the nasty stuff has small amount of tin. =
Because of this, you have two disimilar metals that will interact and =
cause electrolysis, which really what is happening here. Wheel weight =
lead, on the other hand, has so much tin in it, that is resists =
electrolysis/corrosion, IMO. As all of this is speculation, on my part, =
gained by melting the various types and using as bullets/balls. K?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I