average age?, previous profession?

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:05:15 -0800

Well, Guys/Gals:  Here's my "history" in pianos and beyond.  I lived in Hare Krishna temples since age 20 (1972) until I married in '87.  I did many different services while living in various temples in the U.S. and India, including auto mechanics, cooking, photo lab work, restaurant/bakery, and preaching (of course!).   When I got married, I realized I needed a job (they don't pay a salary), so I studied electronics by correspondence.  Not such a good idea, as no one would hire me with just a certificate.  Out of desperation, I found an ad for a piano apprentice and applied for the job at a local piano store.   I'm still there after 16 years (next month it'll be 17).  Glad I didn't find a job in electronics, working on pianos is so much more enjoyable.

Happy New Year to all my friends on this list.
Best to all,
Paul McCloud
inSane Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Renz Piano Tuning
To: Pianotech
Sent: 01/03/2005 12:53:00 PM
Subject: RE: average age?, previous profession?

Hi Quentin,

Good question.  I started as a piano tech after my “first” career went south or east/west, LOL.  I was a computer tech and most of the jobs went outside of the US, so the job pool of available positions in my field were few and there were many high paid out of work computer techs like myself out of work for long periods of time.  A good friend encouraged me to look into piano tuning and the rest is history.  I found that I love this profession better than what I was doing before.  I’m glad that I am changing careers from Information Technology to “Piano Technology”.  I guess you could say from the survey I’m the 2nd youngest guy here at 35, I’m glad I started when I did.  I have 4 young boys, who are interested in what I am doing and want to learn the profession to. So I hope to bring my sons into the field as they grow older.

Doug Renz
Associate PTG
Rochester, New York
pianotuner@frontiernet.net