average age?, previous profession?

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:05:25 -0500

Well, if Mr. Bondi is fessing up, I guess I will also.

Amateur career: Wooden Sailboat Rebuilder.

First career: Forestry - trees are made of wood.

Second career: Hydrogeologist - lots of rocks.

Third career: Piano Technician - pianos are made of wood and I do rock-solid
tunings!

I suspect my boat work experience has did more to prepare me for working on
pianos than the other school-taught careers. Actually, it was boats that
helped me make the decision to get into piano technology. I still remember
that day. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. And
then it dawned on me (the evening after the piano tech had just tuned our
brand-new 1098): pianos are just like boats! Both are finely crafted of wood
and metal. Many of both are 50 or 100+ years old. Both have lots of paint
and varnish on them. And the most important of all - the one that took me
hook, line and sinker - the musty insides of an old upright smells quite a
bit like the bilges of an old (healthy) wooden boat!

I had never played a note on a piano, much less ever seen the inside of a
piano until after we bought our new 1098. And that was just a couple months
before I decided to study piano technology. Six months later I was tuning up
a storm..... maybe not real well, but I was tuning!

Terry Farrell