average age?, previous profession?

Doug Renz Piano Tuning pianotuner@frontiernet.net
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:53:19 -0500

Hi Quentin,

Good question.  I started as a piano tech after my "first" career went south
or east/west, LOL.  I was a computer tech and most of the jobs went outside
of the US, so the job pool of available positions in my field were few and
there were many high paid out of work computer techs like myself out of work
for long periods of time.  A good friend encouraged me to look into piano
tuning and the rest is history.  I found that I love this profession better
than what I was doing before.  I'm glad that I am changing careers from
Information Technology to "Piano Technology".  I guess you could say from
the survey I'm the 2nd youngest guy here at 35, I'm glad I started when I
did.  I have 4 young boys, who are interested in what I am doing and want to
learn the profession to. So I hope to bring my sons into the field as they
grow older.

Doug Renz

Associate PTG

Rochester, New York