Trailer ideas?

John Dorr a440@bresnan.net
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:23:08 -0700

Hi All!

Happy New Year!

One of my first investments in 2006 is likely to be a trailer for moving
pianos.  I'm thinking 5' x 8', enclosed, of course.  I would love to hear from
those of you who move pianos in your business ideas about things/features to
look for and to avoid.  I will have to custom-order mine in order to get the
top-to-bottom clearance high enough to clear larger uprights and grands.

Secondary question:  What are your favorite moving methods?  I like to use a
piano sled on top of a 4-wheel dolly.  I also have the separate dollies that
attach to each end of a vertical piano, and are held on by the straps
stretching end to end, but sometimes going over lips and thresholds my
"helpers" are too lazy to actually LIFT the dang thing and the lip of the
dolly can catch and try to work its way off of the piano.  Once this happened
and it busted up the bottom of the piano pretty good.  Took me DAYS of work to
restore that!

Thanks,
John Dorr
Helena, Montana