When to turn around and leave

Joel A. Jones jajones2@wisc.edu
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:52:52 -0600

Susan,

What a blessing to see your warm homey soapstone oven.

Your account of the key washing reminds me of a frantic call
I received many years ago.  I stopped in mid tuning and
rushed to a the mansion of a very prominent family in town.
The heirloom family Steinway was being given to the grand-
daughter and  the maid was told to wash the ivories.
Whereupon the maid put ivory soap in a bucket
  and was happily scrubbing the inside of the piano.

Several months and many dollars later I asked if the maid
was still working for them.    I'll never forget this line -
"Yes, the poor dear never was too bright".

And, finally,

Connie and I returned home from a great evening
of dinner and a movie.   The answering machine was
filled.   A piano teacher friend of ours was frantic.
It was flu season and one of her students had ....
onto the mid section of the keyboard. Still warm.
I would have preferred she put the keys in the sink
for that mess as your lady did.

However, I did learn that the students homeowners
policy paid for the clean-up.

Here's hoping all a healthy 2006.   Happy New Year.

Joel

Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI